Date:      Mon, 03 Dec 2007 14:53:12 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Clint Olsen <clint.olsen@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to get portinstall to 'shut up' so I can run it in background

Clint Olsen wrote:
> I've tried redirecting standard output/error, both /bin/sh and /bin/csh,
> and I can't run this in batch.  I'm trying to build gnome which takes
> hours, and I want it backgrounded so that if this SSH shell disconnects it
> doesn't crater the build.  You would think that --batch would make this
> happen, but no go.

While I know screen(1) has a lot of devotees, you could almost
certainly use nohup for this same purpose, with the pleasant side
effect that you will have a log of what happened on disk in case
something blows up.

I do a lot of stuff this way (cvs up, buildworld, etc.) even if I plan
to stay connected just in case I don't. :)

Doug