Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2001 11:05:34 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Reidar Gustavsson" <r@norbo.nu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Framemaker and FreeBSD

Reidar Gustavsson <r@norbo.nu> types:

Please don't do that. Just send plain text. Don't send HTML, either

> I'm now working with Adobe Framemaker under Windows but i'm
> interested in switching over to Free BSD.
>
> My question is if anybody has made an attempt at running the UNIX verson =
> of Framemaker under FreeBSD?

I have. The Linux version worked quite nicely after tweaking the
startup script. Unfortunately, they no longer offer a Linux version,
and the license for the one they offered expired.

> See below for fundamental prerequisite:
>       UNIX
>            . Additional requirements for SunT SPARCstationT:  . SolarisT =
> 2.5.1, 2.6, 2.7, or 2.8
>            . Additional requirements for HP-9000 Series 700 and 800:  . =
> HP-UX 10.2 or 11.0
>            . Additional requirements for IBM Power PC=AE and RISC =
> System/6000=AE Workstations:  . AIX=AE 4.2.1, 4.3.2, or 4.3.3

Note that none of those are x86 platforms. Or even alpha. That makes
it unlikely that you'll get FreeBSD to run on them, much less
Framemaker.

You might check the NetBSD lists to see if anyone is using it
there. You're more likely to find producton quality ports running on
those platforms. They also tend to be good about providing ABI
compatability for the native Unix variant. If you want FrameMaker on
BSD, that's your most likely choice.

If you want FrameMaker on Unix on Intel hardware, you're out of
luck. Adobe doesn't offer it.

	<mike