Date:      Sat, 30 Jun 2001 14:11:51 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Robert Clark <res03db2@gte.net>
Cc:        Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Services Ltd

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0

[ Disclaimer:  I was involved in the start up of FreeBSD Services Ltd
  about a year ago.  Then BSDi happened and I pulled back.  I do not
  have any financial interest in FreeBSD Services Ltd, but the people
  running it are friends. ]

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 04:16:49PM -0700, Robert Clark wrote:
> The have a picture of chuck holding a crescent wrench (adjustable
> spanner) too. Using that graphic would require asking permission.

Which was done, and given.

> Using the name "FreeBSD" would require getting permission too.

Which was done, and given.

FSL is run by Paul Richards, who is also paul@freebsd.org.  Paul is
one of the people from "the beginning" of FreeBSD, back in the 386BSD
days, and he continues to commit code.

The other director is Brian Somers.  That's the same Brian Somers as
brian@freebsd.org, responsible for the (re)write of userland PPP in
FreeBSD, and the continued implementation of new features in FreeBSD
(and OpenBSD's) PPP.

> So either they've done their homework, or they're looking for a
> rumble.

Get a life.  More organisations providing support and distribution of
FreeBSD is a good thing.  Just ask *anyone* in Europe who has had to
wait months for their CD subscription to arrive, and then paid heavy
import tax when it does.
=20
> Are DVD-ROM robust enough for everyday use?

Yes.  FWIW, I helped someone at Usenix remove Linux from their Compaq
laptop and install FreeBSD from the DVD which I had to hand (which,
incidentally, are bootable).

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0

--6TrnltStXW4iwmi0--