Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 1995 15:54:03 +0200 (MSZ)
From:      me@dude.pcs.dec.com ( Michael Elbel )
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   libXpm.so.4.5

Anybody know what's going on with libXpm? I've been used to 3.4
for some time. Now I've discovered that it seems to be at version
4.5 while the package itself still is 3.4(e instead of c),
Anybody know why the major number was bumped? The bump seems to have
happened at 3.4d which is still in the packages directry. Fom the
CHANGES file I can see no interface changes.

Now something like this can easily be overlooked when one just
gets the latest release of a port (I'm not sure I would have seen
it if I had done libXpm myself :-)

I'd suggest that people porting libraries that are used by other
ports be extra careful about compatibility and numbering and at least
notice -ports about major number changes. Don't tell me to go
read cvs-ports, I do, but Jordan's message from Feb 6 didn't say
anything about a version number bump :-(

At least the fvwm and xemacs packages are still linked against
libXpm.so.3.* . I'll stick a updated xemacs into packages soon,
but I'm afraid someone else will have to look at fvwm since
I believe the port is broken somehow - e.g. the .xpm icons don't get
installed, but I'm not sure this is all.

Michael
--
Michael Elbel, Digital-PCS GmbH, Muenchen, Germany - me@FreeBSD.org
Fermentation fault (coors dumped)