Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 12:35:51 +1000
From:      Jim Mock <jim@blues.ghis.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Roy Bettle <rbettle@criterion-group.com>, bitter@noah.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need comparative data

On Tue, 03 Aug 1999 at 11:45:17 +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Monday,  2 August 1999 at  1:23:16 -0700, Roy Bettle wrote:
> > bitter@noah.org wrote:
> >> One thing I  keep reading is that "Linux and FreeBSD are really
> >> more alike than they are different." If that is true than can
> >> someone give me one reason why I should use FreeBSD? If all the
> >> support and momentum is with Linux then why risk going with
> >> FreeBSD?
> >>
> >> "Throw me a bone here people..."
> >
> > One quick point re: FreeBSD - as a high-volume server - vs.
> > Linux:
> >
> > Yahoo! = FreeBSD
> > cdrom.com = FreeBSD
> > redhat.com = FreeBSD
>
> Where do you get that from?  They'd be the last people to run
> FreeBSD.
>
>   $  ftp ftp.redhat.com
>   Connected to ftp.redhat.com.
>   220 ProFTPD 1.2.0pre3 Server (Red Hat FTP) [pub.iad.redhat.com]

That really doesn't say much, but take a look at
http://www.netcraft.co.uk/Survey/Reports/199905/developers/redhat.html

That survey is from May, but there's links there to see what they're
currently running.  I don't see FreeBSD on any of those though ;-)

As Greg said, chances of RedHat running FreeBSD is uhm, slim to say
the least.

--
- Jim Mock - jim@blues.ghis.net - systems administrator - ghis.NET -
- work: http://www.ghis.net/ - personal: http://www.ghis.net/~jim/ -