Date:      Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:03:33 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
Cc:        kde@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question...

--Boundary-02=_dbQF/nabhrUd9vx

> >> Out of curiosity, should Konsole make a utmp entry?
>
> > It actually does make
> > utmp-entries in Linux, but requires the "utempter" utility/library to do
> > so, which isn't ported.

> > I guess the next question is what would it take to port utempter?
>
> I need to investigate more.

Okay, done with the investigation: utempter makes extensive use of both=20
ptsname & friends (as specified by POSIX.1, which we only implement in 5.0+=
)=20
and SUSv2's utmpx, which we don't implement at all. Someone really=20
knowledgeable with pty-stuff might still be able make a compatible workalik=
e=20
(or hack bsd-specific utmp-supportcode directly into konsole), but not me..=
=2E=20

I'm forwarding this to kde@ for the guys with the coding skillz to ponder=20
upon.

=2D-=20
Michael Nottebrock \        KDE on FreeBSD    \            ,ww =20
                    \            ---           \   ,wWWCybaWW_)=20
                     \  http://freebsd.kde.org  \   `WSheepW'    free
                                                 \    II  II     node