Date:      Tue, 7 May 1996 22:31:48 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Benjamin Tomhave <tomhavbe@martin.luther.edu>
To:        David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP!!!

On Tue, 7 May 1996, David Greenman wrote:

> >System: IBM pentium running FreeBSD 2.1
> >Problem:  Up until 15-20 minutes ago, all was fine.  Now, all of a sudden,
> >nobody can login from anywhere but the x-login on my 4th virtual console.
> >I can't even login as anybody on one of the other 3 virtual consoles!!!!!!
> >There are no signs of attack or anything.  The password file appears to be
> >fine.  The group file appears to be fine.  The database me be messed up,
> >but I don't know how to check it.   I need help on this ASAP, and that
> >means hopefully tonight!! I've got users depending on this machine and
> >I've never seen a problem like this before -ever-!!! What has happened????
> >Help!!! Please!!!
>
>    You didn't mention what happens when you try to log in. If it just hangs,
> this might be caused by a nameserver being down.

It prompts for login, you enter it.  It prompts for passwd, you enter.  It
tells you "Login incorrect."  THis is for anybody and everybody through
everything except ftp and x-console.

    Benjamin Tomhave		|   Shell to DOS...Come in DOS...Do you Copy?
    Luther College		|
    Decorah, IA 52101		|   $ rm * .*    "Hey, where'd everything go?
    tomhavbe@martin.luther.edu  |