Date:      16 Oct 2001 17:57:14 -0700
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Daniel Brown <djb@unixan.com>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Slivko" <jslivko@4evermail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mergemaster -- whats the best way?

Daniel Brown <djb@unixan.com> writes:

> Personally, I was thinking of hacking this feature into my own copies of
> mergemaster some time in the medium future. =)

I was thinking it would be good to somehow save copies of all installed
config files (not just MD5s) and make it convenient to compare changes
in the installed config files instead of comparing an installed file
with my custom file.  An extreme-case demo of the benefit of this is
where I've changed none of the information in a file, but just
completely re-organized it and added comments, when the file didn't
change at all in the OS upgrade.  I'd like to see that the file didn't
change, even though it looks nothing like mine.  (This wouldn't replace
any feature of mergemaster, just make it easier to do the hand-editing
part.)

P.S. My upgrade from 4.3-S to 4.4-R was a binary upgrade from CD and it
didn't even offer to run mergemaster or suggest a good time to do it.
It seemed to just copy my old files over a new /etc (or something).
I probably have some out-of-date config files as a result.