Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 03:08:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        obrien@freebsd.org, daeron@Wit401305.student.utwente.nl
Subject:   Re: configure problems gtk12-port

I debugged this problem for a friend at work. gtk12 configure creates
a 'c' program conftest.c which contains the line:

   system("touch filename");

where I don't remember what filename is offhand. Running as root,
the system call hangs forever. Running as a non-priv user, the
touch command fails and system returns (but the return code is
not checked).

   I have to wonder whether or not signals are being dealt with
correctly and the following snippet from system.c:

        default:                        /* parent */
                do {
                        pid = waitpid(pid, &pstat, 0);
                } while (pid == -1 && errno == EINTR);
                break;

   The program did not respond to keyboard kill, quit, or intr
signals either. Backgrounding it and kill -9 did the trick.

   Hope the above helps.

Later,
John