Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 1996 05:54:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jimd@starshine.org>
To:        kengard@norfolk.infi.net (ken gardner)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stop Bill Gates!

> Hello freeBSD people,
>
> My name is Kenneth Gardner, and I represent Stopgates, an organization
> devoted to stopping Microsoft from taking over the internet and the

	I appreciate the forthright exposure of your aggenda.

	Frankly, though, I have to express some irritation.

	I'm not MS booster.  I despise the contortions
	and decorations that MS-Windows laughingly calls
	an "interface" and I'm regularly frustrated by it's
	"automation hostile" nature.  I'm deeply concerned about
	the number of organizations and individuals that have
	locked their data -- their information, assets -- thier
	very business survival into Microsoft's proprietary
	data formats; standardizing on servitude and building
	a house of cards from the Microsoft deck (a deck where
	MS regularly "upgrades" the ace and forces a complete
	shuffle of all the applications levels that were balanced
	on it).

	I am convinced that many of the rumors about Microsoft
	coercion tactics and monopolistic practices are only
	the barest tip of the iceberg on the horizon.

	However, I cannot make out Gates to be some sort of
	"arch-villain."   We've got much bigger problems
	in the world than Gates, or Microsoft -- problems that
	make the entire software industry shrink to a microscopic
	point.

	Bill Gates has almost certainly never locked up
	a couple of hundred Thai women in a slave labor camp
	in L.A.

	It is inconcievable that he's ever parked
	a truck bomb in an office building and set it off
	(Trade Center and Oklahoma City Federal Building).

	He isn't part of the any of the organization that
	commited assaninations and atrocities at Ruby Ridge,
	Waco, and in Philadelphia (among several others).

	I doubt he had Flight 800 shot out of the sky.

	He isn 't raping the economy by bailing out a bunch of
	failing S&L 's while leaving incompetant directorships
	to loot them.

	He doesn't seem to be murdering doctors and/or assualting
	pregnant in the name of "life."

	He's doesn't seem to advocate that we need to maintain an
	unemployment rate in excess of 7% to "protect" the poor
	industrialist from rising labor costs.  In fact I doubt
	that he contribute a dime or a breath to the recent
	national debacle over minimum wage (since I doubt that
	anyone at Microsoft or any of Microsoft's suppliers
	is affected by it).

	He doesn't take a deposit of $1000 dollars and, through
	the magic of fractional interest banking loan out $6000
	to earn $600 while only paying back $50 to his investor
	(standard CD transaction).

	He doesn't run divisions offshore to export jobs to underpaid
	undertrained people in regions  where an industrial
	disaster like Bhopal can kill people by thousands without
	any criminal nor any significant civil repercusssions.

	I don't think he funded running guns to covert military
	operations in South America using agents that conveniently
	supplemented the arrangement by flying drugs back

	I'm pretty sure he hasn't propped up any despotic regimes
	just to have them practice genocide against others within
	thier borders (Iran).

	Is he proposing to Congress, and the American people that
	the money extracted from every working American
	for the last half a century "isn't enough" and that we
	should prepare ourselves for the time when our government
	will drop their end of the "social security" contract?

	Is he pissing and moaning about the money going to
	"welfare mothers" while spending orders of magnitude
	more on "welfare corporations?"  Has Microsoft gone
	to the U.S. Government, hat in hand, begging?  Did
	Chrysler ever pay us (you and me) back?

	Did he lock any workers in a factory, to prevent them
	from stealing a few chickens -- only to have many of them
	die in a fire -- unable to escape through the fire escapes
	that were chained shut?

	I've heard that he's a bit of a tightwad -- but has
	he bounced any checks recently?  ... Even if he did,
	we certainly we didn't elect him to make our laws
	and oversee our federal budget.  He isn't guilty
	of the hypocrisy that he can blatantly kite hundreds
	of checks, interest free on a whim where "we the people"
	would have certainly been jailed for fraud.
	(I had a friend who was almost convicted of fraud for kiting
	checks -- wrong I agree; but she was doing it to feed
	herself and hunt for work.  She made full restitution with
	interest.  Did any of our "exemplary" lawmakers pay their
	bills?)

	If you're looking for villains -- if you want to speak out
	against atrocities, crimes and injustice go pick up a newspaper
	-- or save a tree and read some news on Clarinet.

	Compared to the people I've alluded to Gates is a folk hero --
	no -- a "Saint!"

> world.  Please visit www.simwell.com/stopgates, and let me know if we may
> offer a link to your home page; as we feel that your system is the best
> alternative to all of the Windows NT based servers. I look forward to
> your timely reply.  Thank you.

	I probably shouldn't post this to the whole list -- it
	really doesn't have much to do with FreeBSD.  But it is
	so frustrating to see someone express such hostility
	to a relatively harmless nerd while ignoring the rest
	of the world.

	It's really depressing that so many people are willing
	to participate in sideshows like this, or like the
	O.J. "trial of the century," or William Kennedy Smith
	Trial, or any of the petty scandals (frankly I don't
	care what sorts of imaginary friends the first lady
	talks to, or which astrologer one of her predecessors
	consulted, or who the President is sleeping with, or
	how often a former president was napping).

	It's even more depressing that the people who buy
	tabloids are among the diminishing portion of the
	populace that bother to read anything at all.

	Even Bill Gates makes me a bit sad.  I wonder what
	drives someone to be such a control freak and so profit-
	driven that *billions* of dollars and dominance of over
	70% of an industry for over a decade still isn't enough.
	I've seen him speak in person several times over the last
	few years -- and frankly he doesn't seem happy.

	I suppose it's inevitable that the richest "self-made"
	billionaire would have to that insecure since any
	sane person would "get a life" after making the first
	few million dollars and seeing his name become a household
	word.

	Peter Norton is my hero.  I've met him only once
	(though I worked for his company for a few years).
	Now there's a man who seems genuinely *happy*.

	I'll take what's behind door number two, Monty.

> Kenneth Gardner
> Stopgates

	All,

	Please direct any flames or follow-ups to me alone.
	I'll apologize in advance for posting this as it is
	off-topic.  However I do hope that it sets some people
	to thinking.

	Jim Dennis,
	StopGates--bashing