Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 2020 13:39:52 -0800
From:      Navdeep Parhar <np@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw@zxy.spb.ru>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Chelsio NETMAP performance

On 2/3/20 12:17 PM, Slawa Olhovchenkov wrote:
> I am try to use Chelsio T540-CR in netmap mode and see poor (compared
> to Intel 82599ES) performance.

What approximate FreeBSD version is this?

> Same application ac receive only about 8.9Mpss, compared to 12.5Mpps
> at Intel.
>
> pmc profile show mostly time spend in:
>
> 49.76%  [17802]    service_nm_rxq @ /boot/kernel/if_cxgbe.ko
>  100.0%  [17802]     t4_vi_intr
>   100.0%  [17802]      ithread_loop @ /boot/kernel/kernel
>    100.0%  [17802]       fork_exit
>

> to be exact at line
>
>         while ((d->rsp.u.type_gen & F_RSPD_GEN) == nm_rxq->iq_gen) {
>
> Is this maximum limit for this vendor?

No, a T540 should be able to sink full 10Gbps (14.88Mpps) on a single rx
queue.  Try adding this to your loader.conf:

hw.cxgbe.toecaps_allowed="0"

Then try simple netmap "pkt-gen -f rx" instead of any custom app and see
how many pps it's able to sink.

Regards,
Navdeep