Date:      Fri, 07 Jan 2005 10:15:00 +0200
From:      Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
To:        Achilleus Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FW: Sun revokes FreeBSD license for Java

Achilleus Mantzios wrote:
> First off, Good Year to anyone.
>
> I'd like to share my thoughts on the FreeBSD binary java distribution
> and the FreeBSD Foundation issue.
>
> I pretty much acklowledge the efforts of the FBSDF, as well as
> that the diablo jdk13 is the only one achievement of the FBSDF, at least
> as it presented
> in their site. Also ,the funding of Alexey's work was essential
> in the viability of the jdk14 port.
>
> However, as another person said, freebsd users
> only use the port and not the binary.
> And taking into account the many areas of need in the rest of
> the system in its current status (5-STABLE, CURRENT),
> i think it would make sense to save the money that was supposed
> to go to SUN, for funding development of other areas in the system.
>
> Most users are quite happy with jdk14 i suppose.

Although I am one of those users happily using the jdk14 port, I can't
say that I find the situation satisfying. When I am trying to pitch a
Java solution on FreeBSD to a customer I have to ask them to have the
jdk preinstalled for me, since I can't legally redistribute it. Clients
who don't have an existing FreeBSD installation or don't care about the
solution's underlying OS (which is why they usually pick Java in the
first place), wonder why on earth they should not go with Linux instead.

For developer's like myself the port is fine. For managers (either
selling or bying products) it is a nightmare. Personally, I consider
Alexey's financial support and the binary distribution license as the
most important thing that the FreeBSD Foundation has ever done for the
future of the community.

Cheers,
Panagiotis