Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 1996 03:20:30 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        andreas@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/xv Makefile

> Well, I wouldn't call that a "bug" though.  The problem here is that
> we don't really know if the dependency was built just for this port or
> not.

Well yes, clearly, but the question is still whether or not it makes
more sense to "clean inappropriately" or fail to clean appropriately.
Given that there's generally little reason for a work directory to
remain around after you're done with a port if you're using the system
normally (and even if you're working on a custom port you should be
doing it elsewhere than in /usr/ports), I'd say we should err on the
side of disk space savings.

> For instance, if someone is trying to fix a bug in the jpeg port, and
> a "make clean" in xv deletes jpeg's work directory with all his
> patches and stuff, we'll have one very unhappy hacker. ;)

See above - it's too easy to blow yourself away by doing this anyway,
and hackers should be encouraged to fix their jpeg ports outside the
mainline.

> I can change bsd.port.mk to keep the list of ports actually built
> because of dependencies, but is this really worth it?

Naw, I'd say just chain the clean.

					Jordan