Date:      Fri, 22 Jul 2016 19:41:22 +0000
From:      twilight <pipfstarrd@openmailbox.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using notify-send for notifications from cron-run scripts

Hello guys!

I'm trying to do some automation on my machine and I would like to have
freebsd-update and portsnap ran weekly. I want to send a notification to
my X session after completing the update fetch, that new updates are
available (updating automatically would not be desired as a good case
due to uncontrollable results).

But I've came across a problem: fetching fresh ports and freebsd updates
requires the scripts to be ran from root, but in root session I'm unable
to notify-send anything to my display.

I've tried to set `export DISPLAY=:0`, but that didn't work out.
Also I've tried to use `env DISPLAY=:0 su twilight -c 'notify-send
"...."'` but that didn't work out either.
Searching the net also lead me up to the same advances.

What am I doing wrong? I'd be very thankful for any advice

--
Cheers~

PGP key fingerprint:
07B3 2177 3E27 BF41 DC65  CC95 BDA8 88F1 E9F9 CEEF

You can retrieve my public key at pgp.mit.edu.