Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 1996 17:58:37 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        valtech@caribnet.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Offical Release of 2.2

> When is the offical release of FreeBSD 2.2?
> The reason why I'm asking, I have been with
> out my cd-rom for quite sometime..

If I remember rightly, 2.2 isn't expected to be ready until
autumn/winter, but there is a 2.1.5 due out this summer, which will
mainly be bug-fixes and minor improvements over 2.1.0, rather than all
the funky new features which are going into 2.2.

One of the distinctive features of FreeBSD is that it's released when
the developers think it's more-or-less ready, rather than on an
arbitrary date dreamt up by the marketing department. This is an good
thing in my book, although it can be a bit frustrating if you're
impatient to get your hands on all the latest goodies. 8-)

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk