Date:      Tue, 6 May 1997 10:50:23 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        archer@lucky.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: option DIAGNOSTIC ?

> What is the /Subj/ supposed to serve for?
>
> I ask this because:
>
> a) I think it might be useful, but don't know how to use it;
>
> b) My kernel with IPFW panics just after (it seems) a single packet
>    behind a firewall (ipfw: chain...) -- is it supposed to behave so?
>
> Just a line of comment would be appreciated.

Typically, it wraps panics for conditions which should never happen
in operation.  It is most useful for detecting some kernel code
violating calling conventions for other kernel code., and/or the
detection of memory corruption in the kernel address space.

It is *supposed* to be used by developers before they commit code
to the kernel to ensure that they have not made a mistake.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---