Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 08:50:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/36456: csh(1) manual references wrong "signal.h".

The following reply was made to PR docs/36456; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To: "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc: mp@freebsd.org, obrien@freebsd.org, ache@freebsd.org,
	bug-followup@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 17:50:19 +0200

 On 2002-03-28 23:11, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
 > Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org> writes:
 > > But more importantly, csh.1 is hard linked to tcsh.1.gz which comes from
 > > contrib/ source (the source of /usr/src/contrib/tcsh).  If any changes are
 > > made to that file, they should probably be made in the tcsh developer's
 > > source and imported to FreeBSD verbatim when a newer version of tcsh is
 > > imported to our source.
 >
 > I suspect that it's wrong because the tcsh developer's layout is
 > different, but that's about all I have to say on it.  (If you don't want
 > to fix it one way or the other, I don't see any good reason to not leave
 > it open for someone who cares about this low-priority stuff.)

 It's not easy to fix this one.  The /usr/include/sys/signal.h file is not
 guaranteed to be there in other systems, AFAIK.  The /usr/include/signal.h
 is something one can depend on, being there on all Unix systems that are
 out there.  The tcsh developers chose to refer to /usr/include to avoid
 writing things like:

 	"If you are on FreeBSD ..., but if you are on Linux ..., ..."

 The problem here is that FreeBSD uses CVS to track the changes made to
 "vendor code", and making local changes to files that come from the vendor
 branch of a program like tcsh means that this file has to be manually
 merged every time a new version of tcsh is imported :/

 I've Cc:'ed the people who have done imports of tcsh to the CVS tree.
 They are the ones that know better than me if such a change needs to be
 done :)

 - Giorgos