Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:31:25 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: acpi panic

On Monday 22 January 2007 11:05, Bruno Ducrot wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 07:15:07PM -0800, j w wrote:
> > Hello
> > I'm installing FreeBSD 6.2 (first time experience) on an oldish
> > computer and got this ACPI panic when booting the install CD:
> >
> > ACPI APIC Table:  <ASUS P2B-D>
> > Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
> > CPU Pentium III/Pentium III Xeon/Celeron (551.25-MHz 686-class CPU)
> >  Origin = "GenuineIntel" Id = 0x673 Stepping = 3
> >  Features =

0x383fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR,SSE>
> > real memory = 536858624 (511 MB)
> > avail memory = 511750144 (488 MB)
> > ACPI disabled by blacklist. Contact your BIOS vendor.
> > MADT: ACPI Startup failed with AE_ERROR
> > Try disabling either ACPI or apic support.
> > panic: using MADT but ACPI doesn't work
>
> Uh?  We shouldn't use MADT if ACPI is blacklisted and we shouldn't panic in
> that case?

Go read the code to see why we do this.  At this point in the boot, we have
already committed to using the MADT and using APICs, so we HAVE to use ACPI
to route interrupts.  However, we can't use ACPI because its blacklisted.
And no, we can't check the blacklist (at least not w/o much pain and probably
duplicating the blacklist) back when we probe the MADT as we do it very early
before most of the kernel is up and running, we even have to use an evil
track to map the ACPI tables to even read them, so are in no position to call
the blacklist checking functions.  This is a FAQ, and as you can see, the
panic message is helpful enough that users reboot and disable ACPI and the
machine then boots happily.

--
John Baldwin