Date:      02 Mar 2000 11:39:30 -0700
From:      Jamie Gritton <gritton@iserver.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recent vinum changes

Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be> writes:

> the last word I heard from Greg were that he was concentrating all
> his work on 4.0-CURRENT, and it didn't sound like anything was likely
> to get back-ported to -STABLE.
> That said, mirroring under -STABLE should be pretty rock-solid...

   That's unfortunate, given the comment he included in the vinumrevive.c
log:

| Fix horrible, embarrassing breakage which caused occasional panics and
| data corruption.  It's a wonder it worked at all.

I think this indicates that the mirroring currently under -STABLE is anything
but rock-solid.

> ...and if you can show him a case where it bombs, I would assume that he
> would be inclined to try to work out the bug and the fix for it,
> which should then get incorporated into future versions of -STABLE.

   We've sent such already, and it matches the log comment.  What can I say,
but that I've been experiencing regular panics and complete data
obliteration anytime I needed to revive a vinum mirror?

- Jamie