Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:32:55 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        <berninme@muohio.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: domain names, named, and all the problems that go with it.

From: "Mike Berning" <berninme@muohio.edu>

> I registered a domain name from godaddy.com. They say you must
select two
> name servers to list on so I chose two of their park servers. I
used their
> website to add myself to one of the root servers and it worked
fine. I now
> want to run my own name server because I want to have several
subdomains
> such as 'person.example.com' and 'person2.example.com'. I took
myself out
> of the root nameserver with godaddy.com. I read the FreeBSD
handbook about
> how to run a nameserver, and here is what I have done.

Quite possible that 'removing myself from root nameserver'
is an issue.

Your registrar (in this case godaddy.com) must have a
record of *some* two nameservers to place in the global
system.  From your FreeBSD box, do 'whois yourname.com'
....note carefully which nameservers are listed for your domain.
If there are none.....well.....

If they exist, make sure that THEY are resolvable by DNS.
With my registrar, I had to go in and "register" my two nameservers
(which I run) because the root servers didn't know where to look
for them, even though they were broadcasting DNS info to
whomever should desire it.  This consisted of adding their names
and IP addresses to a database via a web form.

> my named.conf has this added to it. let's say my domain is
example.com and
> my my ip is 65.24.x.x
>
> options {
>         directory "/etc/namedb";
>         }
> zone "example.com" {
>         type master;
>         file "example.com.db";
>         };
>
> and this is what I put in example.com.db
>
> example.com. IN SOA ns1.example.com. admin.example.com. (
>                             2002111005      ; Serial
>                             30M             ; Refresh
>                             3600            ; Retry
>                             604800          ; Expire
>                             86400 )         ; Minimum TTL
>
>     ; DNS Servers
>     @       IN NS           ns1.example.com.
>
>     ; Machine Names
>     localhost       IN A    127.0.0.1
>     ns1             IN A    65.24.x.x
>     @               IN A    65.24.x.x
>
>     ; Aliases
>     person             IN CNAME        @
>
> I want to run the nameserer and the http server from the same
computer.

Not necessarily a problem.  It is, however, a good idea to have two.
There are some sites, I understand, which will give you a free
secondary....

If would also recommend denoting your 'subdomains' by name
rather than with wildcards, but that is an arguable recommendation...

> Now when I type in http://example.com I get nothing. Does anybody
have an
> idea about what I should do. Thanks for the help.

Don't give up, keep working out the 'hairy details.'
You'll feel better when it's done :-)

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.