Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 16:19:03 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Hans Reiser <reiser@namesys.com>
Cc:        hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org, Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>, Chris Mason <mason@suse.com>, Josh MacDonald <jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU>, Parity Error <bootup@mail.ru>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org, reiserfs-dev@namesys.com
Subject:   Re: [reiserfs-dev] Re: metadata update durability ordering/soft updates

Hans Reiser wrote:
> Terry Lambert wrote:
>  >There are heroic technical measures you could take to get
>  >around these restrictions (BeOS links GPL'ed code into GPL
>  >external handler programs, and then talks to them via IPC
>  >to get around the GPL on come code, for instance), but the
>  >effort of doing that is probably more than simply writing
>  >a drop-in replacement from scratch, which is more than just
>  >licensing the code.
>  >
> I think that BeOS violates the GPL.  Linking is not in the license
> language.  Derivative is.

They make the full source code for these programs available.

I think that somone who writes non-GPL'ed code that communicates
over a data interface to GPL'ed code, and treats the GPL'ed code
consistently with the terms of the license, is not in violation.

Specifically, if use of a data interface to a GPL'ed program
by a non-GPL'ed program made the non-GPL'ed program GPL'ed,
then the first time someone used Internet Expolorer ro surf
to a web site whose content was served by a GPL'ed web server,
IE would become GPL'ed.

That's really an indefensible position.

-- Terry