Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 23:56:08 +0300 (MSK)
From:      maxes@peterlink.ru
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVICE_POLLING and kern.hz

> root@gw-f:~# ifconfig fxp1 link0
> fxp1: Microcode loaded, int_delay: 1000 usec  bundle_max: 0
> root@gw-f:~# ifconfig fxp2 link0
> fxp2: Microcode loaded, int_delay: 1000 usec  bundle_max: 0
>
> But -- Does not seem to reduce either interrupt count (and possibly it should
> not :) or interrupt percentage level...
>
> Maybe I should also say that all of them are in promiscuous mode due to
> arpwatches...
Hi.
Check this (may be obsolete) document:
http://www.tel.fer.hr/zec/BSD/fxp/

hw.fxp.int_delay
Valid Range: 0-10000 (0=off)
Default Value: 1000
This parameter holds the number of time units (in microseconds) until
the adapter generates an interrupt in case the bundle is not full. The
recommended value is 1000 for end-nodes, and 500 for packet forwarding
applications.

hw.fxp.bundle_max
Valid Range: 1-16
Default Value: 6
This parameter holds the maximum number of packets in a bundle.
Reasonable values range from 2 to 10. On chipset revisions older than
D101-MA, the parameter has no effect (no limit on bundle size will be
imposed).

hw.fxp.size_mask
Valid Range: 0x1-0xFFFF (0xFFFF=off)
Default Value: 0xFF80
This parameter is a bit-mask describing the minimum size frame that will
be bundled. The default masks the lower 7 bits, which means that any
frame less than 128 bytes in length will not be bundled, but will
instead immediately generate an interrupt. Any frame that is 128 bytes
or larger will be bundled normally. This feature is meant to provide
immediate indication of ACK frames in a TCP environment. On chipset
revisions older than D101-S, this parameter has no effect.

What show "sysctl  -a | grep fxp" ?

p.s.
 DEVICE_POLLING not support in SMP, do You know this  ?

b.r.
 Kozin Maxim