Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 16:52:25 +0100
From:      Jim Chapman <jim.chapman@sympatico.ca>
To:        freebsd-newbies@Freebsd.org
Subject:   ATAPI Tapes

I installed release 3.1 from the Walnut Creek CD. I have a Seagate
IDE/ATAPI tape drive. It is configured correctly (I believe) but I can't
use it. My questions are

Do I need to initialize the device or the tape before I use it. Mount is
only for block devices. The wst man page talks about modes and closing
the device. The mt man page gives some info and I can erase and rewind
the tape using mt.

dump fails after writing the backup, maybe when trying to rewind. dd
writes a file but gets a an EOD error when trying to read it. tar does
the same thing and also gives a message about an invalid tar header.

A search of the archives turned up a lot of tape questions but nothing
that helped. I would appreciate it if someone could reply who has
actually got one of these devices to work. I am getting very frustrated.
I assume there is some simple thing I have missed as I am new to Unix.

Thanks, Jim Chapman