Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 1997 21:39:15 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Junichi Saito <junichi@wanadoo.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to create a boot disk ?

On Mon, 22 Dec 1997, Junichi Saito wrote:

> I am thinking of creating a boot disk with a kernel supporting "ppa". I
> use a parallel port Iomega ZIP for backing up and restoring with the tar.
> I don't need incremental backups. I followed the way explained in the
> handbook. But the kernel, with the very minimum configuration, is yet too
> large for the tar to be put on the disk in stead of "restore". So what I
> would like to do now is to create a boot disk with only a kernel on it
> like "boot.flp", (I mean a boot disk that presents you, after booting, a
> menu giving you the choice for switching to "fixit.flp"), but with the ppa
> support.
>
> - Can someone tell me how I can achive this ?
> - Does somebody have any suggestions for alternative ways of doing what I
>   want to ?
> - Is it possibe to compile the ppa as module and use it with the existing
>   "boot.flp" ? And if so, how ?
> Thank you for your attention and time.
Right now I''m working on sticking parallel port ZIP support into
boot.flp, though my time is rather limited.
I would suspect that, with this done, you could just drop that boot.flp
image in and run the fixit floppy under that, with full access to the ZIP
drive, as I understand the process.
Someone jump in if that isn't right.

|       FreeBSD; the way computers were meant to be       |
* "The only reason I'm burning my candle at both ends, is *
| that I haven't figured out how to light the middle yet."|
*    fullermd@futuresouth.com      :-}  MAtthew Fuller    *
|      http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd          |