Date:      Tue, 28 May 2019 21:01:58 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Theron <theron.tarigo@gmail.com>, soc-status@freebsd.org
Cc:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>,freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GSoC: Separation of Ports Build Process from Local Installation

On May 28, 2019 3:51:08 PM PDT, Theron <theron=2Etarigo@gmail=2Ecom> wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>For Google Summer of Code 2019 I am working on FreeBSD's ports tree=20
>makefiles towards eliminating the dependency of the ports building=20
>process on the local system's installed packages=2E=C2=A0 Currently this =
level

>of separation can only be accomplished in practice through chroot or=20
>Jail=2E=C2=A0 The project will eliminate the need for cooperation of the =
root=20
>user since /usr/local will not need to be touched=2E
>
>The major technical obstacle to be overcome is that ports expect to
>find=20
>files of their dependencies installed in /usr/local=2E=C2=A0 To support t=
his=20
>without touching that location on the installed system, file accesses=20
>will be redirected to a location controlled by the ports build process=20
>through use of a library to intercept file accesses=2E
>
>Once I have that working (well enough to build one port at a time) I=20
>will move on to modify bsd=2Eport=2Emk itself (and related files) to
>utilize=20
>this mechanism for virtual installation of port dependencies during
>builds=2E
>
>The full project proposal can be seen at=20
>https://docs=2Egoogle=2Ecom/document/d/1B30U9csgY299W59tNraSX1LYjzsba2i04=
OrYAUpdIZs/edit

>=2E
>
>My goal is that this work can be integrated well enough into=20
>/usr/ports/Mk so that unlike Jail, no set up work should be required
>for=20
>using ports tree to build a set of installable packages=2E
>
>Please let me know if you are interested in this project; feedback is=20
>appreciated=2E=C2=A0 If someone would like to provide ongoing feedback or=
=20
>mentorship that would be especially helpful=2E=C2=A0 Bakul Shah is my men=
tor=20
>officially for GSoC but I would be happy to have additional support
>from=20
>someone who is experienced with internals of the port infrastructure=20
>makefiles=2E
>
>Theron Tarigo

How is this different from what poudriiere already does?

--=20
Pardon the typos and autocorrect, small keyboard in use=2E
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy=2ESchubert@cschubert=2Ecom>
FreeBSD UNIX: <cy@FreeBSD=2Eorg> Web: http://www=2EFreeBSD=2Eorg

	The need of the many outweighs the greed of the few=2E