Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 08:54:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      mark tinguely <tinguely@hookie.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, waynefu@cse.unsw.EDU.AU
Subject:   Re: Problem enabling IP Multicasting daemon.

>  We have been trying to enable the Multicasting daemon by following the FAQ
>  on the freebsd website.
>  We have edited the etc/rc.conf file to include mrouted_enable="YES"
>  and also recompiled the kernel after updating the GENERIC kernel by
>  including the 'options 	MROUTING '  option.
>  We rebooted the system and were faced with errors dealing with starting
>  the multicast daemon and the error we received was,
>
>  mrouted:06:11:08.561 can't forward: only one enabled vif

have you editted the /etc/mrouted.conf to include the remote end of the
tunnel? or in case where there is no tunnel, you need at least two network
interfaces that are not on the same network.

Many sites are going away from DVMRP to PIM for multicast routing.
if you need PIM support instead of DVMRP, then use pimd at:

	http://netweb.usc.edu/pim/pimd/

--mark tinguely