Date:      Fri, 06 Nov 1998 13:10:23 -0500
From:      Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
To:        small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   School Server & PicoBSD

Hi, I'm near 16 years old :-)
I would like to show at my school how FreeBSD is powerful, but also get
some technical skills with servers. If the admin let me play with is
stupid machine of course..
We have something like 70-90 computers, (30 Macs, 30 WinNT and 30 Win95.
I don't know why they buyed so much systems: it simply don't work
properly.
When we are a class of people on the net at the same time, it can take
up to 10 minute to load a page. The server is ... a WinNT+a hub
solution.
Has I never worked with WinNT and with Ethernet system, I would like to
know:

-Is it a problem with Ethernet (I think they use 10baseT), WinNT or
both?
-Would PicoBSD change that? (talking about speed)

Because I would like to bring PicoBSD, simply enter it and reboot.
The only job I want him to do is to act has a server(gateway?) to access
internet.
The main problem are:
-I don't currently know the hardware of the server. But it's not
bullshit I think. Certainly a P200 and +
-I never worked with Ethernet, I don't know the architecture of the
school system.
-PicoBSD would not have a swap partition (which could bring some
problem, neh?)

Now, could it be possible to:
Simply reboot with PicoBSD, configure the kernel (I know how to do
that), configure the Ethernet(that's the real new part), reboot,
working.

It would be a demonstration.

Would it be simple?
Should I use the router version?
What are the file to edit in /etc?
Can I recompile a kernel under PicoBSD?
What are the kernel tweaking for such a server?
Tank you
--
[Malartre][malartre@aei.ca][http://www.aei.ca/~malartre/]