Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 1995 19:47:09 +0200
From:      "J.M.W. Kooijman" <kooijman@dutibe.twi.tudelft.nl>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        kooijman@dutiba.twi.tudelft.nl
Subject:   printer problem

I recently installed FreeBSD 2.0.5 on my new Pentium system, but now I
seem to be unable to get it to co-operate properly with my old NEC LC866+
printer. The problem is that only the first line or so of a file gets
printed.
First of all, the printer works fine under dos, and worked fine under SCO
Xenix, the OS I used previously. So it probably is not a hardware problem,
or unixphobia.
The printer uses the HP laserjet+ command set. I therefore put an
initialization string of HP code (cannibalized from the SCO Xenix lj
interfacefile) at the front of a simple text file, and then tried
cat myfile > /dev/lpt0 (apparently it has to be lpt0; lp0, as in the default
printcap file, does not work).
The printer then starts up and prints the first and second lines of the
text (the second line is severely shifted). After this the D(ownload)
indicator keeps on blinking like mad, but this may simply be caused by the
fact that the dataline stays high.
Needless to say, if I put myfile through lpr, I get the same result. I don't
think it is a printspooler problem, though.
My impression is that some buffer is not properly flushed. If I put two
lpr calls in short succession into the queue of different files, I sometimes
manage to get different lines into the output (from the single attempts, I
mean). However, I am not to sure about the reproduceability of this effect.
I would very much appreciate some help on this problem. It is probably not
a bug, but something stupid I do (at least I hope it is that simple).

Finally, are any of the outputfilter files, mentioned in connection with
lpr anywhere in the distribution? I couldn't find any, but maybe I am looking
in the wrong places.
Thanking you very much in anticipation.

Joe Kooijman
kooijman@dutibe.twi.tudelft.nl