Date:      Sat, 05 Feb 2005 14:01:37 -0600
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "hamsadhvani@netzero.net" <hamsadhvani@netzero.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Modem not detected in FreeBSD 5.3

hamsadhvani@netzero.net wrote:

>I have some problems getting my modem to work on FreeBSD 5.3.It is an internal modem
>Intel 537EP V9x DF PCI Modem sitting on COM3.  Originally the dmesg for the serial ports read:
>sio0: <16550A-compatible COM port> port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on acpi0
>sio0: type 16550A
>sio1: configured irq 3 not in the bitmap of probed irqs 0
>sio1: port may not be enabled.
> My /boot/device.hints file reads as follows:
>hint.sio.0.at=isa
>hint.sio.0.port="0x3F8"
>hint.sio.0.flags="0x10"
>hint.sio.0.irq="4"
>hint.sio.1.at=isa
>hint.sio.1.disabled="1"
>hint.sio.1.port="0x2F8"
>hint.sio.1.irq="3"
>hint.sio.2.at=isa
>hint.sio.2.disabled="1"
>hint.sio.2.port="0x3E8"
>hint.sio.2.irq="5"
>hint.sio.3.at=isa
>hint.sio.3.disabled="1"
>hint.sio.3.port="0x2E8"
>hint.sio.3.irq="9"
>
>which I modified by commenting the disabled line and adding the
>following lines.
>hint.sio.1.flag="0x0"
>hint.sio.2.flag="0x201" (refered the sio4 manual but I am not sure if these are correct)
>and then rebuilt and installed the kernel.
>
>Still my dmesg read:
>sio0: <16550A-compatible COM port> port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on acpi0
>sio0: type 16550A
>sio1: configured irq 3 not in the bitmap of probed irqs 0
>sio1: port may not be enabled.
>sio2: configured irq 5 not in the bitmap of probed irqs 0
>sio2: port may not be enabled.
>
>Thanks.

Did you check to see if this modem was supported?  On the website
there is a "hardware compatibility list" which should very *definitely*
be checked if you intend to use an internal modem.  Last I knew, most
internal modems depended on Windows software to work, because the
manufacturers off-loaded all the processing to the machine's CPU.  A
port exists to drive Lucent chipsets, though.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey