Date:      Wed, 04 Sep 2002 09:20:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikkot@pacbell.net>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@interface-systems.de>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sun AXi boot success

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> [I'm currently not yet subscribed to this list, so please keep me
> Cc'ed.]
>
> Just out of curiosity, i downloaded Jake's ISO image, and gave it a
> try on a basically already retired Sun AXi based workstation here.
> It worked!

Yup.  Works fine.  Got one here too.

> The Sun AXi is an OEM mainboard once produced by SME, with the idea in
> mind that PC resellers could package this into a PC/ATX form factor
> case, and ship reasonably cheap UltraSPARC-powered machines.  Years
> ago, our company bought such a machine just for evaluation.  I don't
> know what happend to the Sun AXi line afterwards, and unfortunately
> currently can't seem to find the (quite fine!) hardware manual
> provided by Sun either.

Google -> "SparcEngine AXi OEM Technical Manual".  First hit is:
<http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/nep/docs/>.

Scroll down to the AXi (below all the Netras) and get the PDF.

> The machine is a PCI-based one with an on-board dual-channel Symbios
> Logic SCSI controller (IMHO a 53c876), and a 335 MHz UltraSPARC IIi
> CPU.  The VGA seen below is not on-board, it's been installed into a
> PCI slot.

Mine is 440MHz. Actually, I have two, but I fried the on-board scsi on
the slower (360MHz) one, so now it is a door stop (with 512M memory).
I don't suppose anybody has a sparc bootable (openfirware) scsi card
laying around?

     $.02,
     /Mikko

 Mikko Tyolajarvi___________________________________________mikkot@pacbell.net