Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2001 12:22:18 -0700
From:      Steve Reid <sreid@sea-to-sky.net>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>, Ben Speirs <igiveup@ix.netcom.com>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: agp module?

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 10:18:45AM -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> so, its useless everywhere else?  does't provide any advantages?

I suspect there is some misunderstanding being spread here (perhaps due
to the previously mentioned fact that the agp module has no man page).

If I remember correctly, the mga module automatically loads the agp
module. Apparently it is necessary for DRI with the matrox cards. This
may be true of other cards as well. I don't think it is necessary for
2D with most cards, as 2D was possible before the AGP module showed up;
but I could be wrong.

I believe the AGP module is needed to provide large amounts of RAM so
that the hardware-accelerated OpenGL stuff can have multi-megabyte DMA
buffers for transferring commands and textures to the video card. Such
memory needs to be physically contiguous, but there is no clean way for
the kernel to allocate large amounts of contiguous regions post-boot,
so the GART is used to make memory appear contiguous to the video card.
The AGP module may or may not also enable AGP 2x/4x (I don't know).

I hope I'm not just spreading more misunderstanding here. A man page
would be nice.