Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 23:00:55 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        John Sellens <jsellens@uunet.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3Com 3C589D not resuming after APM suspend/resume??

> I have a Toshiba Tecra740CDT and a 3Com 3C589D PCMCIA ethernet card.
> I use the pccardd(8) support and the ep(4) driver on FreeBSD
> 2.2-970713-RELENG (the RELENG versions added support for the "D"
> revision of the card).
>
> Most times I suspend/resume, I get this on the console after
> resuming:
>
> Sep  8 22:12:25 pollux /kernel: ep0: suspending
> Sep  8 22:12:25 pollux /kernel: resumed from suspended mode (slept 01:12:38)

Wow, you're computer actually resumed with the card in it?  That's
pretty good, considering that for most folks it panics the kernel.

Anyways, I digress.  The point I'm trying to make (in a very round-about
fashion) is that suspend/resume with cards simply doesn't work reliably
in FreeBSD, and hasn't ever.  Someday someone will come and correctly
fix the architectural problems with the current system (which is a great
start, but needs to be finished, rather than extended thus continuing
the breakage).

My suggestion is to pop out the card before suspending, and then pop it
back in when you resume.  (I know, it's silly, but see above...)

Nate