Date:      Sun, 01 Feb 2004 18:22:00 +0300
From:      Yuri Grebenkin <rainbreath@hotpop.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 problem on FreeBSD4.9

------------hMBSv6fwfYjEX8PuROPqb0

Hi. I spent so much time trying to make nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 running on
FreeBSD4.9 and I think one of us must die!
I downloaded NVIDIA-FreeBSD-x86-1.0-4365.tar.gz from www.nvidia.com
(it's identical to one from ports' /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver). That's
no matter I instal from ports or just by 'make setup' I get the same
problem.
I have a configured kernel as it was described in nVidia docs (e.g. with
USER_LDT) and configured XF86Config accordingly to nvidia driver. I have
made big amount of installations (tryed between FreeBSD AGPGART and
nVidia AGP, etc.) but whatever I do I get this story:

I reboot after installation; login; issue 'startx'.

Here I see as it starts Ok (it fills about a half of screen with
messages, ends at 'Using config file...'). Usually (with VESA driver) at
this point screen flashes to black and then to my desktop (I use KDE).
But with nVidia driver I still see these textmode messages for awhile,
after that machine reboots! (Without any syncing to disks or shutdown
process). I mean it hangs up and nothing of keyboard or hdd or else is
active before this dirty reboot.

Thanks to God that I configured X back to VESA, but GLX became unusable.

So I need help with configuration of nVidia acceleration. I need it for
I had some OpenGL programming experience under RH Linux that could be
ported to FreeBSD with success.

Configurations and logs attached.

Thankyou!

Yuri