Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 12:04:05 +1100 (EST)
From:      Anthony Hill <ahill@interconnect.com.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Modem dropouts with user mode ppp

When ftp'ing large files from my 2.1-R machine, my modem
connection will usually drop within a couple of minutes. Its is a
28.8kbps modem, the port speed is 38400 (My ISP runs their ports at
38400), the PC is a 486DX2-66, 12MB ram, 16550 serial ports, and does not
run under heavy load.

Note this problem only occurs when the transfer is outgoing, and seems
more pronounced when the ftp session is started the on remote end.

Are there any known bugs in the user-mode PPP that would cause this kind
of thing.

Anthony Hill
ahill@netspace.net.au