Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:39:01 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        scuba@centroin.com.br
Subject:   Re: Step-by-step to upgrade Perl

On Monday 12 April 2004 11:30 am, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 01:30:37PM -0300, scuba@centroin.com.br wrote:
> > 	I'd like to upgrad Perl to 5.8 using ports on FreeBSD 4.7, but
> > how to do that in order to completely overwrite the old version
> > (5.5.3). Which is the correct steps to upgrade Perl?
>
> No -- it's a lot easier than you seem to think.
>
>    i) Install the perl5.8 port:
>
>         # portinstall lang/perl5.8
>
>        - or -
>
>         # cd /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8
>         # make install
>
>   ii) Set the new version of perl to be the default. (This also turns
>       off building perl as part of the base system):
>
>         # use.perl port
>
>  iii) Re-install any 3rd party modules, etc that you've installed so
>       the new perl can access them.  There should be a neater way of
>       doing this...
>
>         # find /usr/local/lib/perl5/{site_perl/5.005,5.00503} -type f
> -print0 | \ xargs -0 -n 1 pkg_which | sort -u > /tmp/perl-ports # vi
> perl-ports
>
>           [ Sanity check the results: take out any non-ports (like
>            '?'), ports that are now bundled with perl or that you no
> longer wish to have installed ]
>
>         # portupgrade -f `cat /tmp/perl-ports`
>
> Et voila.  New version of perl installed and ready to go.

There is one group that doesn't appear. All of the versions of automake
use perl and have the version to use as the 1st line. You need to
portupgrade -f automake
to get things ready for your new version of perl. FWIW, I am using
perl-5.8.2_5

There should be some sort of USE_PERL in their makefiles but isn't
there.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart