Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 11:42:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dhcp boot was: Re: diskless workstation

:> In message <200009210648.XAA02252@mass.osd.bsdi.com>you write:
:>
:> }Mostly I guess I'd really like it to simply save *all* of the DHCP
:> }response in the environment.  Just "dhcp.xxx" where xxx is the parameter
:> }value would probably do it, or we can argue about names for everything if
:> }there aren't established names already.
:> }
:> what's in a name ;-)
:> the dhcp.xxx stuff is easy, the problem is that the DHCP options are not
:> enough, so im trying to look into defining a FBSDclass ala PXEClient, and
:> supplying stuff like usr-ip/usr-path swap-ip/swap-path or whatever.
:
:You don't need those; you can get them out of /etc/fstab.  In particular,
:the whole idea of passing the NFS swap details in at this stage is just
:*totally* bogus.

    You can specify swap paritions with dhcpd just fine, just use
    the the numerical IP:

    option root-path "999.999.99.99:/";
    option option-128 "999.999.99.99:/images/swap";

						-Matt