Date:      Sun, 05 May 2002 19:58:55 -0600
From:      Ian <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: what causes a userland to stop, but allows kernel to continue ?

>> So, based on a previous thread, it looks like I have a server whose
>> userland halted, essentially, but the kernel continued running.
>
> My guess would be that userland apps are not necessarily stopped, but
> perhaps a few processes are somehow locking out all others.
>
> I think the best way to determine what is happening is for you to compile
> DDB into your kernel, then break into during the next pseudo-lockup
> incident to see if you can determine what is going on.
>
> Mike "Silby" Silbersack

"break into" how?  He said the local console keyboard was totally
unresponsive and you can't ssh in.  If hitting the capslock key doesn't
cause the corresponding LED to toggle, doesn't that imply that the keyboard
interupts aren't getting handled?

It's times like this when it's handy that old Macs had a physical button on
front to create an NMI to get you into the debugger.

-- Ian