Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:11:29 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        "Simon Holliday" <si@mystery-machine.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: PPP client/server

"Simon Holliday" writes:
>posted to freebsd-isp before I realised there was an ISDN list.... oops.
>

>> I have a situation where I want two machines to talk to each other over
>> ISDN.  One box will have no other connections, and the other will be on
>> network but won't be routing between ISDN and network.  I want both
boxes
>> run PPP client and server so they can both dial each other and create a
>> two-machine subnet to throw files around when appropriate.
>>
>> Not having done anything with modems or ISDN on FreeBSD before, I've
been
>> reading the handbook, but from the look of it, these documents appear a
>> little out of date.
>>
>> Can any of you point me to any documentation on the best way to set up
the
>> above situation?

AFAIK there's no way to directly connect 2 ISDN cards to one another.
You always need an S0 bus in between.

If you have a PBX with an S0 bus then you can just plug the ISDN cards
into it, assign a number to each and set up isdnd.rc appropriately so
the computers can call each other. With user-ppp on top of ISDN it
should be simple. man ppp(8) and isdnd.rc(5).

If you don't have a PBX then each time you connect you'll have to pay
for the call, but if you're willing to do that then the mechanism will
be the same. Of course, you may run out of numbers since each card has
to have its own unique number.

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyj@muc.de gj@freebsd.org