Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 2003 12:28:11 -0400
From:      Jesse Guardiani <jesse@wingnet.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multiple DHCP interfaces

nadas@torrentnet.com wrote:

> i understood this to be a dhclient issue, not a dhcpd issue.  my 4.8
> stable
> certainly runs dhcpd on multiple i/f's.

Yes. On my box it is a dhclient issue. I'm not trying to run a dhcpd server.

I suppose the speedstream was a bad example since it runs a dhcp client on
one interface and a server on the other...

>  the original qn seemed to be from
> a client that sometimes connects wired and sometimes wirelessly and did
> not want to wait for dhcp timeouts.

Yes, but I would also like to be able to run dhclient on both interfaces
if they are both up.

Alternatively, I could write a cron script to shut down the wireless interface
when the wired interface detects a signal.

This script would poll the wired interface for line presence every few seconds,
and bring the wireless interface offline if a wired signal is detected. It would
then kill the wireless dhclient session, and instantiate a dhclient session for
the wired interface. The same script would then do the opposite when the wired
signal is lost.

I think I could write such a cron script to do all of that rather easily,
but it sounds like a cludge that could be handled more efficiently by changes
to the C networking libraries and the dhclient program.

This all seems to be stemming from the fact that FreeBSD generally expects
network connections to be always on.

Is there any current effort to make the base FreeBSD networking code more
"pluggable"?

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,