Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 12:10:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        marcel@scc.nl (Marcel Moolenaar), sheldonh@uunet.co.za (Sheldon Hearn), freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/emulators/linux-base-5.2 - Imported sources

[redirected to freebsd-ports]

David O'Brien wrote:

> At at minimum the ports should be renamed ``linux-base-RH52'' and
> ``linux-base-RH60''.  We don't have "."'s in our ports directories, and I
> personally don't want to start now.  And put "RH" in the name so we know
> it is RH that these version numbers apply to.
>
> Why do we need two ports??  I want Linux emulation, I don't want to have
> to know if I need RH52 compatibility (which is really a libc5 issue) or
> RH60 (which is really a glibc2 issue).  I don't which I need for Linux
> Netscape or Linux Acroread and I *don't* want to know.  I want to install
> a set of libs,etc. that will work for what ever Linux thing thrown at me.

It's worse than you suggest above.  I tried to install
the Fujitsu Fortran 95 compiler.  During installation,
you are specifically asked if you have libc5, glibc2, or
glibc2.1.  The install script does not ask whether you
are running RH5 or RH6 or Slackware or ...  It does not
use uname(1) to try to determine the favor of linux.
We may need linux-lib5, linux-glibc2, and linux-glibc21
ports.

--
Steve