Date:      Sun, 9 May 1999 15:57:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      robert@fledge.watson.org
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, robert@fledge.watson.org
Subject:   docs/11615: Handbook linux documentation is outdated and needs fixing for 3.x

>Number:         11615
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Handbook: linux emulation documentation obsoleted
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

www.freebsd.org/handbook/linuxemu.html

The post 2.2.2 documentation of the linux emulation doesn't reflect 3.x-* and
4.0-CURRENT changes.

>How-To-Repeat:

Read the page.

>Fix:

1) linux_enable=yes is a valid way to set this up, but it is now preferred
to use sysinstall to enable flags in rc.conf.

2) The verification steps discuss using modstat -- kldstat is the module
management program under 3.x+, and replacement output should be put there
to match this:

% kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1    4 0xc0100000 18a990   kernel
 2    1 0xc028b000 32cc     splash_bmp.ko
 3    1 0xc028f000 5aa0     vesa.ko
 4    1 0xc0abe000 11000    linux.ko

3) In the library install section, you might want to suggest symlinking
/compat to /usr/compat since it can get pretty large, and we default install
with a fairly small root partition.

Might also want to give a pointer to the staroffice install page at:

http://www.freebsdrocks.com/show.php3?ThisArticleID=5122&replies=0&start=1&return=25&search_category=8&search_criteria=&search_field=

It may require newer threading code, but I'm not sure what threading code
was included with which versions.  I use star office under 4.x, and I think
it should work fine under 3.x-stable, but haven't tried it yet.  Might also
want to include a link to the linux threading emulation page:

http://lt.tar.com