Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 08:40:01 -0500
From:      Ron Hensley <RonH@inacom-sby.com>
To:        'Vincent Chen' <vctw@yahoo.com>, 'FreeBSD maillist' <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: traffic shape

>ipfw add 100 pipe 101 tcp from any http to <myip>
>ipfw add 100 pipe 102 tcp from <myip> to any http
>ipfw pipe 101 config bw 512Kbit/s queue 20 mask all
>ipfw pipe 102 config bw 32Kbit/s queue 5 mask all

>When I download file from website without the pipe,
>transfer rate is about 50 Kbytes/s. After the pipe
>activated, transfer rate is about 30Kbytes/s. I wonder
>where the extra bandwith is.

you've limited your connections TO http servers (port 80 specifically) to
32Kbps
is why that's all you see. The first one, 101 doesn't do anything.
When you connect TO an http server the connection is FROM a port > 1024 on
your end
(Whatever's available) TO the WWW servers port 80.

Likewise when those on the Nets connect TO a WWW server on your side, they
connect
FROM a port > 1024, TO your port 80.

Your first mask, 101, is trying to limit connections FROM port 80, TO your
IP Address.
Computers will never connect FROM port 80.

And your second mask, 102 is limiting traffic FROM you, TO WWW servers to
30Kbps