Date:      14 Aug 2002 11:03:42 +0400
From:      "Vladimir B. " Grebenschikov <vova@sw.ru>
To:        Mike Makonnen <makonnen@pacbell.net>
Cc:        "current@freebsd.org" <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: rcNG and dhcp

=F7 Wed, 14.08.2002, =D7 09:34, Mike Makonnen =CE=C1=D0=C9=D3=C1=CC:
> On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 20:36:39 +0400
> "Vladimir B.  Grebenschikov" <vova@sw.ru> wrote:
>=20
> >=20
> > > Yes, there is a simple solution: adjust the timeout in dhclient.conf.
> >=20
> > It is not solution - it is workaround=20
> >   - I do not wand any dhcp activity if I have no media (say in car)
> >     And dhclient in case of failure of detecting network address will
> >     install lask seen one, with last seen default gateway and I will ge=
> >     very long timeout while any of my apps will try to reach network
> >     instead of instant 'no route to host'
> >
>=20
> Then, bring the interface down manually (it's even easier now that
> you can insert your own script in the rc boot process). I am not being
> flippant.

Of course I can patch my rc.d/network1 manually or/and add number of
"smart" scripts, but I simply wants to share solution with other people.

> Your suggestion, while it solves your problem, would create a problem=20
> for others (re-read the quote).

Why it will create problems for others ? You need explicitly ask for
feature:

ifconfig_fxp0=3D"dhcp-if-carrier"

if you will use old-style:

ifconfig_fxp0=3D"dhcp"

nothing will changed in dhcp behavior

My personal opinion - best choice add key to dhclient - which do not
ever try to send requests or record leases in case of no carrier on
media and do not stop boot process in this case.

Some times ago I have patch dhclient for this, but I am not satisfied
with the patch, so do not send it to anybody.

=20
> Cheers,
> Mike Makonnen
>=20