Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 10:53:02 -0400
From:      Bryan -TheBS- Smith <thebs@theseus.com>
To:        Joel Bjork <u98jobj@stud.hh.se>, Otter <otterr@telocity.com>
Cc:        Thomas_Chen@asus.com.tw, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: VNC (was: RE: Data Switch kills Mouse(PS/2)

X-Servers for Win32 -- WAS: VNC (was: RE: Data Switch kills Mouse(PS/2)

On Sun, 13 Aug 2000, Joel Bjork wrote:
> I'm using VNC over a 10Mbit network and it works great at 1152x864x16. I'm
> also using it to connect to the same box at work, about 6 hops away and it
> works great there as well, I've even been able to enjoy a few games of xjewel.

VNC allows my company to use only a few Linux and Solaris systems
(with 1-6 processors each) without having to put one on everyone's
desk.  Since 90% of our EDA tools are UNIX-based, we save a lot of
time and money.

> I haven't tried running an X-server on windows but it is my understanding
> that VNC sends a lot less data. The best thing is that it keeps the sessions
> when you disconnect so you can continue at the same place as you left off.

The CygWin project is getting damn close to this capability.  They
have both XFree 3.3.6 and 4.0.1 running on Windows NT, and have
recently added a barrage of X-Servers for framebuffer, DirectX, GDI
and GDI via VNC server.

Damn would it be tasty to get multiple VNC servers running on
Windows, would allow us to start booting Linux more since all we
use Windows for is Office.  Better yet is the fact that more and
more EDA tools are being ported from Solaris to Linux.  Maybe
FreeBSD will get some recognition some day and we'll see commercial
EDA tools for it as well.

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith                            CONTACT INFO