Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 13:32:05 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New IOCTL for bt848 grab area (was S/W PAN and ZOOM)

Roger Hardiman:
 |With the new IOCTL, you specify an X and Y offset and an
 |X and Y image size.
 |I get a x2 zoom function without any sofware overhead.

Sounds pretty cool.

 |Cannot decide on a name though.

Yeah, a bit tough.  This is both a crop and a zoom so I guess I like your
"CAP" series best.  But everyone's opinion will be different on this one.
Up to you!

Now to figure out what cooool thing we can do with this on the app end 8^)
Actually (bingo!), I know already.  The TV card currently captures more of
the height of the signal than you can see on a normal TV and I've been
periodically distrated by the line or two of trash (or slightly not synced
scan lines) at the top and/or bottom of the video window.  This is
accentuated by using older VCRs, or playing recorded VCR tapes.  This ioctl
is a perfect way to snip those off and still use the full height of the
window.  Maybe some other things as well.

Randall