Date:      Tue, 13 May 1997 18:19:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      The Devil Himself <fullermd@narcissus.ml.org>
To:        ballhog <ballhog@firstnethou.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

On Tue, 13 May 1997, ballhog wrote:

> Hello, i wsa told about your FreeBSD software by someone i met on the
> net.  I didn't exactly find the information i was looking for while
> reading your FAQ's and About FreeBSD, pages, and was wondering if you
> could help clear a few things up.
>
> I am currently running Win95, what i would like to know is, why would i
> want to change OS's? I know win95 has some quirks, but i also know it
> worked fine.
Note that you don't have to change; you can have both on your system, and
select at bootup time.  I did it for quite a while, and will shortly be
doing it again.

> I would also like to know, would FreeBSD be able to run normal dos based
> software, i am assuming it won't since it is UNIX based.  If it can't,
> then what exactly should i get FreeBSD for?
>
> This is my situation, i am ALLWAYS on the net, i'n sort of hooked.  I
> also play lot's of games via network card with my roomate, ie...
> Warcraft, Diablo' Domm etc.. etc..  I would like to remain able to
> connect to the internet and run Netscape etc... and play those games
> etc... and i just bought a Connectix Quickcam for use with CuSeeMe, so i
> would really like to continue enjoying these things.
AFAIK, we have drivers for the Quickcam, netscape works just fine, there
are versions of doom and quake which have been ported to Linux, and I've
heard that they work just fine under FreeBSD with the Linux emulator; that
they in fact work better than under 95 because the OS is leaner.
Warcraft and Diablo I don't think will work, but you can alwasys boot into
95.

> Can FreeBSD do any of this? and in your honest opinion, should i trash
> Win95 and go with FreeBSD?  I'm open-minded, i'll try anything if it
> will work with all the things i like to do.
Well, you can always, like I said, put it on and try it out; it won't cost
you anything but some disk space.  And you don't have to 'trash' 95 to
try out FreeBSD.  And you could always undertake a port of Diablo to
FreeBSD; I'm sure it would be welcomed...  ;)
I'm not sure how wine is coming along for running things from 95; I heard
that it should be fairly stable soon, but I'm no authority on that.
Wine is another free software project which concentrates on running M$
Windows applications and games and stuff under XWin for Linux and FreeBSD
and a few other PC UNIX's.

> Thanx' for your help.
>
> Gene Faull

Hope it helps!!

|FreeBSD is good.      FreeBSD is our friend.     UNIX is our god.|
*Micro$oft is bad.                      Micro$oft causes problems.*
|"I hate quotes in signature files"            :-}  MAtthew Fuller|
*fullermd@narcissus.ml.org                          FreeBSD junkie*
|http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd     Westminster College|