Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 1997 11:18:56 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some forgotten submits

Hi,

> Checking on a NetBSD machine, they have the same problem.  Given you
> have a fix for the problem, do you know what actually caused it to
> manifest with the changes I brought in?

Sorry, English is not my native language, so I'm afraid I have to
guess the meaning of your question. Here is the answer to the
guessed question.  The bug is in search.c and every program that
uses libedit and the search function in it will have the bug.
/bin/sh is just an example, another one should be the new ftp(1)
-- I didn't check it.  In search.c strcpy(3) is replaced by
strncpy(3). But n is set to the size of a pointer, i. e. four,
instead of to the size of the buffer the pointer points to.

> I'll incorporate your change, or a modified version of it, later this
> evening.

Thank you :-)

Wolfgang