Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2007 13:29:36 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        frzburn <frzburn@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fetching sources from Windows?

> Hi!
> I have a slow Internet connection at home, and I would like to know if it is
> possible to fetch the STABLE sources from somewhere else (ex.: at work).
> What I want is to get the latest sources, like described in the handbook (
> http://www.ca.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/synching.html),
> even if it means downloading all of it, since there no way to diff with my
> current source...

Sure.  It's just a big directory tree full of files.  You can fetch them
all by whatever means you desire and copy them on to the new system.

Just be careful of a few thing, especially with Windows.  Windows is case-
insensitive, and has a tendency to rename files in all lower case, which
will cause "file not found" errors when you try to build.  Also, make
sure Windows and ftp don't do any line ending translations, which will
(effectively) corrupt the files.

If you can find somewhere that has a big tarball of the source tree and
just grab that, it should work fine.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com