Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:55:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: qmail (Was: Maintaining Access Control Lists )

In
> http://cr.yp.to/qmail/jackson.html
DJB says "The largest Exim host is doing a mere 50000 deliveries per day."

The publically available Exim users mailing list archives show a lot
more. For example:

 "... we use an old SparcStation 20 to ship around 60,000 emails a day and
 according to the exim stats 98% of those are shipped in under a minute.
 The load average on the machine is next to nothing to the extent that I
 get paranoid if it ever approaches one."
 (<20000714095714.E17070@apple.ukc.ac.uk>)

 "... My server processes 50,000 to 100,000 messages a day and every one
 of those passes through a filter that currently contains 200 rules,
 mostly regex matches (checks for worms and viruses, scores potential
 spam, etc.)  Server load hovers around 0.30 (FreeBSD, Pentium III 400MHz)
 with the odd "spike" to 1.0 or so."
 (<m15gs9c-000FaGC@island.islandnet.com>)

 "Under exim, I put about 5GB (bytes not bits) from one machine between
 8pm and 9am.  That is over one million outbound emails in 12 hours.  You
 do the math.  That is a lot of traffic and is on a small dual processor
 PIII with a single SCSI disk (no stripe for the spool). ..."
 (<396C78B5.4D54B104@cnds.jhu.edu>)

 (The same admin also says:)
 "... We deliver about 1.5 million message/day on any given machine.
 But, we don't push mail between 11am and 8pm (only 8pm to 11am)."

There are many other documented.

Someone should make a "DJB's slander (his word) against ..."

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/