Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 95 11:36:24 GMT
From:      "gj%pcs.dec.com@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com" <garyj@rks32.pcs.dec.com>
To:        current%freebsd.org@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com
Subject:   ISDN

Is anybody working on or aware of an ISDN package which is under BSD
copyright ? I know we have some ISDN software under GPL, but it doesn't seem
to be very well supported.

I'm thinking about porting the ISDN package written by M. Ulrichs (?) for LINUX
to FBSD, but I don't want to re-invent the wheel. ATT it's not clear whether
the original author would be agreeable to having a port put under the BSD
copyright (mostly 'cos no one has asked him yet).

This is a streams based package, which means adding a minimal
subset of streams to FBSD. The neat thing is that you can push modules onto
the stream to support various services, e.g., login or slip (there's no
ppp at the moment, but it's "being worked on"). There's a module which
provides a minimal AT command set. Configuration is rather baroque, sort of
like sendmail :-)

The package has drivers for various ISDN cards popular in Germany, mostly
passive cards, but there is one active card supported.

There was a big write up in the July issue of iX (one of the better UN*X
magazines in Germany). If there's sufficient interest I could prob. provide
a translation of the relevant parts.

Gary J.